I had the very same experience a day or two ago in Moretown : a quick
look at a bird in the shadows that seemed larger and grayer than the
Swainson's Thrushes that were also present.

I agree with the comments from CarolinaBirds that the absence of rusty
tones on a Gray-cheeked is striking (as well as the larger size). Only
question I had with my sighting was whether the shadows simply were too
great to be certain that the rustiness truly was absent. Several
sightings later of birds that were obviously Swainson's and I felt I had
no choice but to admit I couldn't be certain the bird I had seen was a
Gray-cheeked.

Pipit