From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Larry Clarfeld
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 11:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Gray-cheeked in Montpelier

Hi Scott,

As to the number of Gray-cheeked Thrushes banded in Vermont, I was able to
pull the following info off the Bird Banding Laboratory website (
http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/).

Between 1960 and 2012, the following numbers of Gray-cheeked Thrushes were
banded in Vermont:

1997 - 1
1998 - 1
1999 - 2
2000 - 5

Take it with a grain of salt, because I couldn't pull any effort info off
the website (i.e. where the banding stations were, how many banding stations
were operating for how many days, etc.) so these numbers don't say much
about relative abundance.

Cheers,
Larry

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Scott W. Morrical <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Based on the field marks described, Pipit's bird and the one I saw at
> Centennial must be the same bird!  Seriously, mine gave the impression
> of being a large thrush lacking rusty tones.  Interesting but not
definitive.
>  Still, it seems likely that Gray-cheeked is a rare but regular fall
> migrant in VT, but hard to ID and therefore under-reported.  I am
> curious how many banding records there are state-wide.
>
> Scott
>

> Quoting Fred and Chris Pratt <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>  I had the very same experience a day or two ago in Moretown : a quick
>> look at a bird in the shadows that seemed larger and grayer than the
>> Swainson's Thrushes that were also present.
>>
>> I agree with the comments from CarolinaBirds that the absence of
>> rusty tones on a Gray-cheeked is striking (as well as the larger
>> size). Only question I had with my sighting was whether the shadows
>> simply were too great to be certain that the rustiness truly was
>> absent. Several sightings later of birds that were obviously
>> Swainson's and I felt I had no choice but to admit I couldn't be certain
the bird I had seen was a Gray-cheeked.

--
Larry Clarfeld
Environmental Educator