Well you just never know what's going to happen on a bird walk and the 5 of us today really got a treat today at Hildene in Manchester.

The trick seems to be to have a warm day the previous day, a nice cold front with a little moisture and a good breeze the following morning and BAM! - The warbler movement was truly something to behold and the counts below reflect a good representation, but many individuals were surely missed in the count. Trees and bushes were swarming with birds. Black-throated Greens still showing fantastic plumage and nice LOW views! One even hanging upside down working a thistle plant... must have been some good bugs.

It was nice to have our own peak into raptor migration, as it seems it was a perfect day to catch some thermals.

Our next walk is Saturday, Oct 13 - at 8 a.m.!

Randy Schmidt
The Vermont Bird Place
Manchester Center, VT