Hello Norm,

It seems that my response did not get through to VTBird. I am sending it a
different way. I hope this works. .

Hi Norm,

Let me begin by saying- nice job getting a decent movie of this goose and
then great idea to ask for help with the ID.
The goose that you filmed is definitely a Snow Goose and the following (few)
observations are some of the reasons why:

1) This bird has a longish shallow sloping bill along the top of the upper
mandible.
     A Ross's Goose would have a steeper sloping bill and not nearly as long as
this bird's.

2) The base of this bird's bill (where the bill meets the face) has a noticeable
arc shape to it.
    A Ross's Goose would have an almost straight vertical line at the base of
its' bill. It would also show    a blueish color at the bill base.

3) This bird shows a noticeable "grin patch" after it takes a drink and lifts its'
head. The grin patch is the   oval shaped blackish colored opening between
the upper & lower mandibles.
    A Ross's Goose would show no opening (or grin patch) between the upper &
lower mandibles. The line between the mandibles would be pretty straight.

There are more points to look for involving general size and shape but those
become more noticeable after you have seen a few Ross's Geese.

I hope that this info is helpful and keep up the good work.

Jim Mead