Hi all,

Alison Wagner and I birded at Delta Park this morning. We were looking at 2
Rusty Blackbirds preening in a tree when Ali spotted an unusual sparrow. We
both observed it for about a minute and it had each of us wondering what it
was. Then I asked, "Have you ever seen an Ipswich Sparrow?" We took out
the field guide for this one and confirmed that it indeed was an Ipswich (sub-
species of Savannah Sparrow). I had only ever seen one before today and did
not have a great memory of that one. My complete list:

Delta Park, Colchester, Chittenden, US-VT
Sep 29, 2012 6:40 AM - 9:25 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)
28 species

Wood Duck  41
American Black Duck  2
Blue-winged Teal  2
Green-winged Teal (American)  5
Great Blue Heron  1
Northern Harrier  1
Black-bellied Plover  4
American Golden-Plover  1
Greater Yellowlegs  3
Pectoral Sandpiper  2
Wilson's Snipe  1
Ring-billed Gull  8
Herring Gull  2
Great Black-backed Gull  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Tufted Titmouse  1
Carolina Wren  1
Palm Warbler (Western)  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  3
Savannah Sparrow  1     Ipswich sub-species. Light brown streaks on breast
and sides. Pink lower mandible. Light yellow/buffy supercilium and breast color.
Complete eye ring. Larger and lighter colored than typical Savannah Sparrow.
Song Sparrow  3
Swamp Sparrow  3
White-throated Sparrow  7
White-crowned Sparrow  4
Dark-eyed Junco  3
Northern Cardinal  2
Rusty Blackbird  2     Both non-breeding males
American Goldfinch  25

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead