This morning I returned to the west trail of the Dead Creek Birlyea access looking for Shorebirds and was happy to find the Stilt Sandpiper still amongst the flock of 40 or so Yellowlegs. I didn't get to look at it for long though because a Peregrine Falcon dove on the tussock of grass that the shorebirds were crowded around hitting the water with a splash, coming up empty handed. That scattered most all the birds including the Stilt Sandpiper that I was able to pick out by its size and white rump in the flock as it flew away. A couple of Harriers came over after that and cleaned out any stragglers that were left over. After about a half hour the shorebirds started coming back in dribs and drabs and in these groups I found three Pectoral Sandpipers and a few Least Sandpipers. Then I had the neat experience of having twenty Yellowlegs whoosh past me no more than 15 feet away at head hight. However, the Stilt was never among the returnees while I was there.

Full checklist with some digiscoped images:
http://ebird.org/ebird/vt/view/checklist?subID=S11501455

--
Ron Payne
Middlebury, VT