My wife and I have never had any aspiration to accomplish this goal.  When my son was about 10 we decided to do a family hike and climed Hurricane Mt.  He whined and complained all the way up but once he got there he thought climbing the old abandoned fire tower was neat and coming back down wasn't as bad.  Then when he was about 12 I decided to do some father/son activity and we did Cascade and Porter on a somewhat less than weather desireable day.  Oh how he hated that complaining all the way.  Now that he is 27 my wife and I found out he got the bug and decided he wants to accomplish the 46 but without doing the official registration and documentation.  He keeps a photographic record from cell phone pics and posts to his face book page about his efforts.  He started this summer and knocked off 10 so far.  Most of these have been the ones that are not too hard to bag two in one trip like Cascade and Porter.  Small wonders.  Jimski

From: Matthew Kulas <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:17 PM
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] How We Spent Our Weekend

Er, 1+44=45, not 46. ;-)

That second photo is spectacular. Pretty neat spot, huh?

Briar & you should give it a go. Becoming a 46er allows you to get to know a special area relatively well, and provides for many wonderful adventures. Like Vermont, upstate New York is familiar with Canadians, but unlike Vermont, they're also used to conservatives. Conservative Canadians though? More people believe in Champ or the Nye Wolf. :-)

--Matt