Forwarded with Robin Neidorf's permission

From: Robin Neidorf [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 07:36
To: Linda Schwartz
Cc: 'Bowers, Stacey'
Subject: FW: "Hospital libraries need no budget..."

Dear Linda,

I am sorry the Springer sponsored mailing offended you. I am not a member of the listserv you posted to, so I am unable to share my comments with anyone but you.

The message we worked on with Springer was not that hospitals need no budget but rather:

*         Budgets are tight. Hospital budgets are devoted to table-stakes resources that are expensive, leaving little if anything for "nice to have" additional materials.

*         Staff time is tight. Libraries and librarians have plenty to do without also keeping track of the tens of thousands of grey literature reports that are published every year.

The purpose of the report is not to replace anything hospital libraries do or have but to supplement them in a small way.

We publish lots of reports and tips articles that focus on no-cost resources, and many are contributed by librarians and information professionals. They are used by information professionals as well as by what we think of as "accidental information professionals" - people with no training in information skills who are nonetheless being asked to perform information work. The continuum of free to fee is one we research and publish about regularly, as is the continuum from untrained to deeply trained professional work. All are part of today's information environment.

As you know FreePint, you know that we are champions of libraries and librarians. All our research tells us that every quarter, librarians are being asked to do more with fewer resources. We're trying to help make that possible.

-Robin

Robin Neidorf
Director of Research, FreePint
Direct +1-612-978-7991 | Tel: 01784 605000 (+44 1784 605000)  | Fax: 01784 605555 (+44 1784 605555)

                 FreePint<http://www.freepint.com/>: Supporting the Value of Information Throughout the Enterprise

Free Pint Limited is registered in England and Wales.
Registered Number: 3754418. Registered Office:
Delaport Coach House, Lamer Lane, Wheathampstead, Herts, AL4 8RQ