I checked with our Water Dept and Treasurer as I know they just did this not long ago.  They send a notice to the landlord, a week after they send a notice to the residents in the apartments, a week after that they tack notices to the doors of the apartments and then a week after that the water is shut off.  

Cassandra Barbeau
Assistant Town Clerk
Bennington, VT
mailto:[log in to unmask]

find us on the web at

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Amber Holland
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Water shut offs apartment buildings

Is there anyone out there that has a municipal water/sewer in there town 
that turns off apartment buildings. I am wondering how to legaly go about this 
as things are very vague. If so what steps and requierments do you need to 
meet to make this happen. If you have any ordinances or policies to allow this 
please let me know at [log in to unmask] 

Thank You
Karen Boisvert
Utility Clerk, Readsboro