If the payment comes in after the mortgage has been discharged, I send the money to the owner.  If the mistake is because of a refinance and both banks send us the money, I send it back to the mortgage company BUT I copy the owner with my cover letter and a copy of the check so they will know that the escrow company should be in touch with them.





Doreen Woodward

Town Clerk/Treasurer

Town of Westminster

P O Box 147   3651 US Route 5

Westminster, VT 05158

Tel: 802/722-4091   Fax: 802/722-9816

[log in to unmask]




From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Braintree Treasurer
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 3:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tax overpayments from escrow companies


Good Afternoon –


It appears that in the past on overpayment from the escrow company has been returned to the taxpayer – not the escrow company. Are we supposed to send it back to the company?  It seems to me that the only way for the taxpayer to know that this has happened is by us sending the money to them and then having them straighten it out themselves.  Thank you for your input.





Jessica Brassard - Treasurer/Clerk, Braintree, VT