-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Monash Debating Review: Call for Submissions
Date: 	Wed, 10 Oct 2012 01:21:02 +1100
From: 	Monash Debaters <[log in to unmask]>
To: 	Malaysian Debaters <[log in to unmask]>,
<[log in to unmask]>, ALLASIAN <[log in to unmask]>,
<[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>

Dear all,

We hereby open our call for articles for the 2012 edition of the Monash
Debating Review (MDR). The MDR is the only international peer-reviewed
debating journal, and routinely hosts high-quality academic writing on
debating. Its contributors range between academics, experienced
debaters, and simply articulate commentators on our activity who do not
have extensive academic or debating experience. Examples of past issues
are available here <http://www.monashdebaters.com/mdr-past-editions.php>.

This year, we are interested in a wide range of areas related to
debating, including:

  * Academic argument on appropriate adjudication, rules, organisation
    and guidelines of debating;
  * Descriptive work about debating as a phenomenon, using
    (quasi-)academic methods (whether quantitative or qualitative): this
    could range from using statistical analysis of results to assess for
    racial bias in judging through to using observational techniques to
    understand the dynamics of judging decisions;
  * Bringing other academic disciplines into conversation with
    debating-as-object-of-study (for example, using
    political/organisational theory, language theories etc);
  * Examinations of particular topics which may be debated, provided
    this is explicitly to examine the differences between general
    discussion of an issue and discussion within BP debating (with its
    particular formal constraints), rather than to simply provide an
    overview of a topic area. We are very aware that general
    introductions to topics exist outwith the MDR. We would be
    interested, therefore, in articles about how arguing philosophy in
    BP debates differs from how philosophical arguments in general might
    be conducted, but not in a precis of the Very Short Introduction to
    Moral Philosophy.

We're also aware, however, that we cannot second-guess the areas covered
by all potentially fruitful articles. If you wish to discuss your ideas
or articles in advance of submission, please email [log in to unmask]
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&[log in to unmask]>.

We're happy to accept submissions of full, completed articles (both
shorter articles of 1,500 to 2,500 words, and longer pieces up to 4,000)
or abstracts of proposed articles of up to 500 words. The deadline for
abstracts is 12.00 GMT on the 15th of October 2012. The deadline for
completed articles is 12.00 GMT on the 5th of November, 2012. This will
be followed by a period for review and amendation.

Those submitting articles will have to be willing and able to respond
quickly to editorial messages and make any necessary revisions or
changes to short timescales. For any queries about the process, or to
submit an article, please contact [log in to unmask]
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&[log in to unmask]>.

Many thanks,

Sam Block
Chris Bisset