I agree with these rules.
Here are the guidelines that people seem to accept. Let me know if you disagree.
The only change, which I have incorporated, is that suggested by Ruth Zisman from Bard, count the best four of the largest six tournaments.
NORTHEAST UNIVERSITIES DEBATE SWEEPSTAKES 2012-2013
BECOMING A PART OF THE SWEEPSTAKES:
- SCHOOLS ASK TO BE LISTED.
- YOU SELF-IDENTIFY TO BE PART OF THE SWEEPSTAKES.
TOURNAMENTS AND POINTS:
MUST BE A WORLDS FORMAT TOURNAMENT.
CAN COUNT THE BEST FOUR RESULTS FROM THE LARGEST SIX TOURNAMENTS IN THE NORTHEAST (NEW ENGLAND, NEW YORK). THIS MAY INCLUDE USU IF IT IS HELD IN THE NORTHEAST. IT DOES COUNT YALE BUT NOT TOURNAMENTS IN CANADA. IF WORLDS IS HELD IN THE NORTHEAST IT WILL COUNT. IF TOURNAMENTS IN THE TOP SIX HAVE THE SAME NUMBER OF TEAMS THE SCHOOL WILL RECEIVE THE SCORE FROM THE TOURNAMENT WHERE THEY SCORED HIGHER.
- BEST FOUR TEAMS COUNT FOR SWEEPSTAKES.
- 1ST=3 POINTS, 2ND=2 POINTS, 3RD=1 POINT, 4TH=0 POINTS.
- COUNT THE LAST SIX ROUNDS.
- 6 FOR ADVANCING IN ELIMS.
- 10 FIRST PLACE, 7 SECOND PLACE.
- HOSTING TEAMS CAN DEBATE BUT NOT GET POINTS, UNLESS HOSTING USU NATIONALS. IF A TEAM HOSTS A TOURNAMENT, THEY CAN COUNT THE NEXT BIGGEST TOURNAMENT SO EVERYONE GETS SIX TOURNAMENTS TO COUNT.
- COUNT TOURNAMENTS DURING THE ACADEMIC YEAR SEPT 1 UNTIL MAY 1.
- HYBRIDS CAN DEBATE BUT NOT GET POINTS.
- AWARDS GO TO THE TOP FIVE SCHOOLS
- THE NUMBER ONE SCHOOL HAS TO BUY THE AWARDS.
- AWARDS MUST BE ENGRAVED WITH SCHOOL NAMES.
- THE AWARDS FOR 1-5 MUST BE THE SAME SIZE.
- MUST BE DELIVERED BY SEPTEMBER 15 OF FOLLOWING YEAR OR AT FIRST REGIONAL TOURNAMENT.
-- Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna Edwin Lawrence Professor of Forensics, University of Vermont Huber House, 475 Main Street, UVM, Burlington, VT 05405 USA Lawrence Debate Union http://debate.uvm.edu/debateblog/LDU/ Global Debate Blog http://globaldebateblog.blogspot.com Debate Central http://debate.uvm.edu 802-656-0097 office; 802-238-8345 mobile;802-656-4275 fax @asnider Twitter Please realize that I am often on the road with travels all over the world. I may not be able to respond to you immediately. See my calendar at http://debate.uvm.edu/tunacalendar.html