----Original Message-----
From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Patricia
Rudibaugh
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Entire leg vs to knee venous

*The new supervisor of our Vascular Lab asked me why we scan the entire leg
in a Venous Duplex scan when evaluating for DVT when other facilities in
the area scan only to the knee and stop.  The lab follows ICAVL, SCU and
our Medical Directors guidelines/protocols, however, she is looking at the
possible time saved and training spent.  Any explainations out there? I
have never heard of scanning only to the knee, but I am new to Vascular
since 2009. Is there something I am missing???  Thanks in advance for your
explainations...*

re: (tell him/her) because some pulmonary veins are smaller than deep veins
beneath the knee, thus that's where the clot can lodge