Frequency of performing the exam is definitely one keey component to being
good at these, but also having sufficient training to know what you are
looking for when things are not normal is important too.  In hospitals with
dedicated neuro units, transcranial imaging is more popular.  Many
transcranial Dopplers are performed on inpatients for vasospasm but
recently imaging for sickle cell for outpatients has been increasing.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Matthew Smith <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> i agree, it takes a while for most techs to scan enough TCDs  to be
> comfortable with them, typically not your easiest patients to scan and
> requires some oversight from someone with experience to show them the
> ropes/anatomy. very tiny window, very subtle movements to get what you need
> for color imaging studies.
> matt
>
>  On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Cynthia Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>
>> Our IV neuro docs do coiling for aneurysms and we do do daily TCD's to
>> check for vasospasm. Sometimes we have none our we may have 5 .The learning
>> curve is different for everyone but doing them frequently of the key. We
>> have invested alot in training but techs that rarely do them never got to
>> their comfort level. I understand that at Jefferson neuro they do them
>> twice per day.
>>  On Oct 4, 2012 1:45 PM, "Nancy Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there a lot of vascular labs doing TCD's? What's the learning curve
>>> for
>>> training an experienced RVT/RDMS to do TCD's? I was not aware there was a
>>> demand for these exams? Is there?
>>>
>>> To unsubscribe or search other topics on UVM Flownet link to:
>>> http://list.uvm.edu/archives/uvmflownet.html
>>>
>> To unsubscribe or search other topics on UVM Flownet link to:
>> http://list.uvm.edu/archives/uvmflownet.html

Please Consider the Environment before printing this email. :)