Dear Ruth,

The question of how to classify carotid stenosis has been vexing us since
Egaz Moniz.
Unfortunately, Anatomy/Velocity Correlation is futile, in spite of our
confidence to the contrary.
----------------------
Beach KW, Leotta DF, Zierler RE., Carotid Doppler velocity measurements
and anatomic stenosis: correlation is futile., Vasc Endovascular Surg.
2012 Aug;46(6):466-74.

from the Ultrasound Reading Center and the D.E. Strandness Jr. Vascular
Laboratory at University of Washington Medical Center, University of
Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Duplex ultrasound with Doppler velocimetry is widely used to
evaluate the presence and severity of internal carotid artery stenosis;
however, a variety of velocity criteria are currently being applied to
classify stenosis severity. The purpose of this study is to compare
published Doppler velocity measurements to the severity of internal
carotid artery stenosis as assessed by x-ray angiography in order to
clarify the relationship between these 2 widely used approaches to assess
carotid artery disease.

METHODS: Scatter diagrams or "scattergrams" of correlations between
Doppler velocity measurements and stenosis severity as assessed by x-ray
contrast angiography were obtained from published articles for native and
stented internal carotid arteries. The scattergrams were graphically
digitized, combined, and segmented into categories bounded by 50% and 70%
diameter reduction. These data were combined and divided into 3 sets
representing different velocity parameters: (1) peak systolic velocity,
(2) end-diastolic velocity, and (3) the internal carotid artery to common
carotid artery peak systolic velocity ratio. The horizontal axis of each
scattergram was transformed to form a cumulative distribution function,
and thresholds were established for the stenosis categories to assess data
variability.

RESULTS: Nineteen publications with 22 data sets were identified and
included in this analysis. Wide variability was apparent between all 3
velocity parameters and angiographic percent stenosis. The optimal peak
systolic velocity thresholds for stenosis in stented carotid arteries were
higher than those for native carotid arteries. Within each category of
stenosis, the variability of all 3 velocity parameters was significantly
lower in stented arteries than in native arteries.

CONCLUSION: Although Doppler velocity criteria have been successfully used
to classify the severity of stenosis in both native and stented carotid
arteries, the relationship to angiographic stenosis contains significant
variability. This analysis of published studies suggests that further
refinements in Doppler velocity criteria will not lead to improved
correlation with carotid stenosis as demonstrated by angiography.

Kirk