Subject: Re: carotid correlations
From: "K. Beach" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
CC:

Dear Bill,

Yes, this is the same Moniz that developed X-ray angiographic contrast
agents for cerebral studies, and the frontal lobotomy
(I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy).
He received the Nobel Prize for the Frontal Lobotomy in 1949, just a year
prior to the introduction of the first drugs for the treatment of mental
illness.

Regarding Doppler vs Angioigraphy.
What we want to know is which patients will stroke from carotid
atheroembolic events (not thromboembolic).
Angiography does as poorly in predicting carotid atheroembolic stoke as
the discarded Oculoplethysmography methods, but identifies different
patients at risk.  So, the correlation between anatomy and physiology does
not completely resolve the question of who is at risk of stroke.
That is why some talk about vulnerable plaque, which maybe neither Doppler
nor Angiography identify.
Logic does not always lead to truth.

Kirk