You can also find DVT's in the gastrocnemius veins which may be in close proximity to the saph-pop junction.

In our lab, we always scan below the knee including the small saph.

Dani Jeffer, BS, RVT
------Original Message------
From: Patricia Rudibaugh
Sender: UVM Flownet
To: [log in to unmask]
ReplyTo: UVM Flownet
Subject: Entire leg vs to knee venous
Sent: Oct 27, 2012 10:41 AM

The new supervisor of our Vascular Lab asked me why we scan the
entire leg in a Venous Duplex scan when evaluating for DVT when other
facilities in the area scan only to the knee and stop.  The lab follows
ICAVL, SCU and our Medical Directors guidelines/protocols, however,
she is looking at the possible time saved and training spent.  Any
explainations out there? I have never heard of scanning only to the
knee, but I am new to Vascular since 2009. Is there something I am
missing???  Thanks in advance for your explainations...

Dani