Patricia,
This is a very sore subject for me...our radiology dept. here @ Emory only scans to the knee; while it is not the techs that won't do it, it is the radiologists that have a conniption when they scan below the knee.  My vascular lab is separate from them (fortunately!), and we scan the complete leg.  My argument has always been that 10-20% of your pulmonary embolus comes from below the knee, they still will not scan below the knee.  Your supervisor needs to do the right thing and scan below the knee...unless she wants to try to defend it in a lawsuit as to why she only wants to go to the knee and stop.  The veins do not begin at the knee, so why should you merely stop there?  Good for you, pointing out that it is an IAC requirement. Training aside, it still behooves you to image peroneals, posterior tibials, gastrocs and soleal sinuses to evaluate fro clot!
IMHO, of course...

-----Original Message-----
From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Patricia Rudibaugh
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Entire leg vs to knee venous

The new supervisor of our Vascular Lab asked me why we scan the entire leg in a Venous Duplex scan when evaluating for DVT when other facilities in the area scan only to the knee and stop.  The lab follows ICAVL, SCU and our Medical Directors guidelines/protocols, however, she is looking at the possible time saved and training spent.  Any explainations out there? I have never heard of scanning only to the knee, but I am new to Vascular since 2009. Is there something I am missing???  Thanks in advance for your explainations...

prohibited.