I completely agree, Bill!  I was an expert witness one time on a case where a tech missed a clot in the PTV, and the woman ended up having a massive PE and died, 31 years old...you just can't defend this kind of "shortcut" in a lawsuit!  Can't say it enough...go the extra mile, and go from ankle to groin, period.

From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bill Johnson
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Entire leg vs to knee venous

Bill from the Northwest.

"Why we scan the entire leg"?  "...possible time saved and training spent."?  I would answer "how much is a life worth?  Would your new supervisor like us to save a dollar and miss a potentially life ending clot?  Would she want us to take that risk on her, or her mother or her daughter, son or husband?

I do believe the best "argument" to an administrative type is the importance of following the standards we have fought to uphold.  There are more than enough reasons to support them.

I cannot and refuse to support "when other facilities in the area scan only to the knee and stop."  Ask your supervisor if these "other facilities" are accredited, and, regardless, would she want your facility held to a lesser, potentially life threatening standard?  I know you do not want that.  If you supervisor understands the issues of potential lawsuits for substandard care would not ask you to limit your exams.  I wonder if your new supervisor is from the Radiology department.  Radiologists can quote chapter and verse as to why nothing venous happens below the knee.  And they certainly have no compulsion to spend money or any resources on noninvasive technology.  That is not where the money is.  I hope this does not offend anyone, it is just my opinion.  I refuse not to rant, when patient care is an issue.

Patricia, please contact me offline; [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> Your issue is important to me.  It is about caring for patients.  I will do all in my limited power to help.