High quality duplex scanning is exceedingly important; however, there's too
many variables and controversy.  Intra-observer variability will always create
a difference, but if you're looking at a stenosis of >70%, where do you align
the sample volume to?  Vessel wall or flow jet?  If it's aligned to the flow jet,
the transducer being at a slightly different approach, the tech will view a
slightly different jet, and get a different velocity, because we're viewing a 3-
dimensional object in 2 dimensions.  GREATER STANDARDIZATION IS NEEDED.
I know this, and I just graduated from my Vascular Tech program!