There's a pretty little stretch on the Housatonic River where I sometimes
surf. A one-lane road, still maintained by the town of Kent, leads down from
Rte 7 to the railroad tracks alongside the water, and there ends. The spot
is called "Swift's." The road is called "Swift's Bridge Road." But there's
been no bridge since 1938. I did meet a woman hiking there last year, who
told childhood tales of jumping off the bridge to swim.
--an