Re: Sandy Hasn’t been too big a deal here in Manhattan. The storm is tracking to our south, west and north. Far from the beach, the storm surge is something seen on TV only.

Sunday evening, the gathering storm look was spooky cool. On the rooftop, looking up at the thick, fast-moving cloud cover, horizon-to-horizon, it was easy to imaging it a piece in a thousand-mile wide whorl. The streets were, not deserted, but eerily quiet.

Yesterday it rained off and on, but nothing you’d call a downpour, let alone torrential. Took a short bike ride late yesterday afternoon and the blowdown, limbs large and small , the occasional whole tree, was impressive. But the long pauses between gusts made it hard to think of this as a killer storm. Then I saw a 40 foot limb come crashing down on top of a park bench I sometimes sit on. That’ll change one’s perspective.

Outside the windows, tonight’s wind gusts have blown away sleep, but have not borne in fear.

--an