Hey Doreen,

Thanks for the info.  Lots of work to open/close accounts!  We just have an escrow line item in our chart of accounts.  I’ll review all the info I’ve gotten with our city attorney and come up with a plan.

Thanks again,

Carol

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doreen Woodward
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tax Sales

Hi Carol –

The rule I was taught is “the interest follows the principal”.  Here’s how we do it – any excess from the tax sale goes into an interest-bearing account at the bank.  When the owner calls in for a payoff to redeem within the year, we find out what the balance is at the bank and deduct that amount from what is due the person who was high bidder at the tax sale, give that net amount information to the property owner.  When he/she comes in to pay, we close the interest-bearing account, combine that balance with the money the property owner paid to redeem, and send one check off to the high bidder.  If the property owner does not redeem, a Tax Collector’s Deed is given to the high bidder and the interest-bearing account is closed out and paid to the former property owner.

Doreen

Doreen Woodward

Town Clerk/Treasurer

Town of Westminster