At 12:15 PM 11/9/2012, peter caplan wrote:
Exactly, Steve.  That was my immediate reaction on seeing the headline and the lead paragraph.  When I see a headline like this, alarm bells go off.  What kind of source is this, I ask myself?  Where did they get their info? Cheapo shock journalism makes the work of demystifying science more difficult, and posting it just helps propagate the noise that is drowning out and helping discredit the serious research and informed activism that's going on.

Sorry, Mitch,  as a meteorologist  and co-ordinator of  a sister website, dcmetrosftp.org I find that with the responsibility we all have in helping to educate ourselves and the public about the basic facts and the menace of climate change, seeing this kind of stuff here is disconcerting.  I do appreciate all the effort you've put in on the nuclear power issue, but don't you think that it should be the responsibility of those who post articles here to do a bit of their own source-evaluation and fact-checking (for example, as Mandi has done in this case)?

My answer to you, peter, is YES. I hadn't fully read the article before I posted it. It IS, however, making the rounds, and some of the specific debunking here is helpful to me. I thought that the author's credentials were impressive enough to re-post, without fine-sifting.

My bad.

Mitchel

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 23:24:59 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Super-Storm Sandy Powered By Fukushima Weather Effects
To: [log in to unmask]

Seems to be a sign of the times. SFTP was about empowering people to control the impact of science and technology for their benefit not corporate profit & militarism
I seem to spend most of my time these days arguing with other activists about  9/11, vaccine/autism, cloud seeding/geo-engineering & other techno-conspiracy theories.