I think you misunderstand, Mitchel.  I would never argue that any release of radioactive nuclides is trivial, based on a comparison to background radiation or any other comparison.  I continue to believe, as do you and I would guess the majority of readers of this listserve, that nuclear power plants carry an unacceptable risk, at least with current technology.  Fukushima demonstrates that.

The article was addressing the atmospheric-heating effects of the radioactive releases from the Fukushima disaster, which I can't imagine could credibly be argued by anyone as being anything other than totally negligible. "Cosmic radiation" is a bit of a misnomer -- the particles themselves are generally not radioactive, but have enormous kinetic energies and can produce massive amounts of ionization and dissociation of atmospheric molecules.  They can even cause some radioactive nuclides to be produced, in the same manner as they are produced in a particle accelerator, by virtue of a (rather improbable) "direct hit" of a very energetic proton (a typical cosmic ray) on, say, a nitrogen or oxygen nucleus.  Energetic neutrons can also be produced.  In fact, carbon-14 in the atmosphere (about one part per trillion) that makes carbon dating possible primarily arises from the fusion of such a neutron, after it has been slowed down by numerous collisions, with a nitrogen nucleus -- neutron plus nitrogen-14 ===> proton plus carbon-14.

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 15:31:05 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Super-Storm Sandy Powered By Fukushima Weather Effects
To: [log in to unmask]

Eric,

Your conclusion may be correct, but the argument is weak.

We grow up and live with a certain level of natural background radiation.
That's our baseline, what our species and planet evolved in. ANY
additions to that, no matter how seemingly insignificant or minuscule,
can be quite climactic (to coin a phrase). It is unfair (and problematic)
to measure the small amounts of additional radiation in ratio to the
natural background radiation.

Mitchel