Kaylee Pollander and I spent the day birding Addison County. The
highlight of our day was being able to have excellent looks at a Hoary
Redpoll on Atherton Rd. in Addison. We had stopped to view a large
flock of birds that crossed the road in front of us, and after seeing
that the birds were redpolls (200-300), we decided to get out and scan
them for a Hoary. The birds fed vigorously near the ground on weeds in
an open field, but would often drop out of sight into the grass. After
about half an hour, our patience paid off when a small flock of
redpolls descended on a weed no more than 20 feet in front of us. We
were immediately able to pick out a Hoary from this group, which gave
us excellent comparisons next to the adjacent Commons. This bird had
no streaking on the flanks and had a mostly white back, with light
streaking. The bird appeared very white sitting next to the Common
Redpolls. We estimated the flock size between 200 and 300, but it
could have been more since only part of the flock would fly at a time
and most of the birds were not visible in the grass. They appeared
happy and not disturbed by our presence, even as we walked into the
field for a closer look. The flock was also seen later by Jim Mead, so
perhaps the birds will be nearby tomorrow as well for anyone wishing
to look for them.

-Tyler Pockette