The highlight of the monthly bird monitoring walk this morning on Maquam
Trail at Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge were large flocks of Bohemian
Waxwings.  First a cooperative flock of about 40 posed for nice long looks
through the scope, then another flock of about 100 wheeled overhead several
times.  These were the first Bohemian Waxwings recorded on our monthly
walks.  (This was our 33rd walk.)  We also saw a separate flock of 10 Cedar
waxwings.  We had 15 species in all.

--Ken Copenhaver

MNWR-Maquam/Black Creek , Franklin, US-VT
Nov 17, 2012 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Monthly Bird Monitoring Walk.
15 species

Canada Goose  446     flocks of 60, 80, 90, 8, 8, 75, 55, and 70
Mallard  1
Ring-billed Gull  1     flyover
Mourning Dove  10
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  2
American Crow  6     flyover
Black-capped Chickadee  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Brown Creeper  1
American Robin  3
Bohemian Waxwing  140     Flocks of 40 and approx 100.  Had very good views
with scope in bright sunshine of the flock of 40 in a tree.  The flock of
100 wheeled overhead several times, again in bright sunshine with positive
ID of rufous undertail coverts.  No Cedar Waxwings were identified in
either flock.
Cedar Waxwing  10     Saw separately from the Bohemians.
American Tree Sparrow  3
American Goldfinch  3