Maeve,

What about an adult male Northern Harrier -- would go with the
elongated body and upright posture, and they always look so different
when perched than how we are accustomed to seeing them in flight.  You
were in a good place and at the right time of year to maybe see a
Gyrfalcon, but a Gyr is likely to impress you with it's powerful,
big-chested build.  Just a thought...

Scott