Condolences!

Yes, Cooper's will go after full-grown chickens.  They'll chase them
down on foot often.  (Peregrines, like all falcons, most often take
their prey in the air.)

A Cooper probably couldn't carry off a large, full-grown chicken, but
they'd eat what they could while on the ground and then leave the
carcass, or most of it.

Immature Goshawk is also a possibility, since they look very much like
immature Cooper's.  The white on the tail tip is wider in a Coop (unless
it's badly worn down), but can also be seen in a young Gos.  You say a
"band of white," though, which makes me think it more likely was a Cooper.

Jane
(Shoreham)