Maeve Kim and I spent a pleasant afternoon down at Dead Creek Brilyea Access
watching ducks.  We parked at the first pull-off on the left.  Six species of duck
there today:  black, mallard (of course), pintail, American Wigeon, green-winged
teal, and Gadwall.  In addition, there were 2 Rough-legged hawks perched in a
pine tree behind the pond, 2 Merlins and a Peregrine.

Yesterday the same list of ducks were there except there were no Gadwall but
there were some Ruddy Duck females.

We ended our afternoon at Shelburne Pond where we were surprised to see 30
male Ruddy Ducks "all in a row" with a lone white-winged scoter among the
bunch.  One lone female Ruddy Duck was at the far right end of the Pond.

Tom Jiamachello
Essex Junction