I was watching our feeders which include a large hanging suet feeder.  It is mounted on wrought iron pole with a hook on the top end for a hanging basket in the summer.  Now we are using this slim pole for the suet feeder which the woodpeckers like to use.  They usually fly right to  the feeder and grab ahold of it.

The other day I noticed one woodpecker on a nearby tree observing the action for awhile.  I got the impression he had not used the feeder before and was observing how the other birds did it.  After the other birds flew away he made his move.  He flew over a grabbed ahold of the pole just be below the feeder.  Whereupon he slid backwards down the pole to the ground.  Of course he flew away.

The sight of this bird sliding down the pole "fireman" style was so unexpected it struck me funny.  I couldn't help laughing out loud and still smile every time I think about it.

Tom