Sounds like you got to bird at one of my favorite places.
Hi Martha,

Sounds like you got to bird at one of my favorite places.  My wife and I have been spending the winters on JI for several years. I trust you met my friend and local birding guru, Lydia Thompson, while you were there.  Other good birding places in the area, which you may have already heard about are

1.  St. Simons Island, on East Beach between the Coast Guard station and Gould's inlet, birding varies greatly with the tide.

2.  Altamaha WMA just south of Darien on Rt. 17.

3.  Harris Neck NWR off Rt. 17 about half way between Brunswick and Savannah.

4. Sapelo Island, off Rt. 17 near Darien.  It's best if you go on a tour, as once you get there there is no transportation unless you have made some arrangement. Check at the Visitors Center on the mainland.

The Coastal Georgia Audubon Society has lots of field trips. You can check out their schedule at their website:  www.coastalgeorgiabirding.org.

Coastal Alabama? Sorry, I have no good leads there.

Happy winter birding in the south,

Carl Runge