Hi all,

I went to Addison yesterday afternoon in search of the Ross's Goose that Ron
Payne had reported. When I got to the Goose Viewing Area I saw that the
group of Snow Geese (3000 or so) were on the north side of Rte. 17 in a corn
field. I pulled into the fishing access parking lot on the right and walked north
down the road/trail that has an orange gate on its' south end. The corn field
that they were in is on the east side of the road/ path that I was walking on.
The viewing conditions were excellent with the sun behind me and the group
of geese were busily feeding. I tried to locate the Ross's but could not. I
continued north and spooked the flock to the north end of the same corn
field. I then noticed a lone bird still in the field. I glassed it & found it to be a
Cattle Egret. It then flew away from me & touched down somewhere among
the Snow Geese but out of my view. I continued north from there and the
entire goose flock lifted and flew over to the south side of Rte. 17. I then saw
the Cattle Egret again flying toward the west offering me a nice profile.
It was almost dusk so I waited there in the hopes of seing a Short-eared Owl
but had no such luck. I also took a drive onto Gage Rd. afterwards and did not
see one there either- maybe next time. . .

Enjoy birds,

Jim Mead