My knee-jerk reaction was to start fuming, but that is the last thing we
should do. If anything, let's not reinforce any potentially harmful
stereotypes or assumptions about our value and worth. I think the proximity
between the words "carriage drivers" & "librarians" was too close for
comfort; but on the other hand, I feel a certain sense of solidarity with
physicians who are confronting similiar challenges related to the larger
ideas of technology & humanity.  I do agree that it is our responsbility to
get out there and make a better name for ourselves. I, too, have been told
by many physicians & clinicians here that I don't "look" or "act" like
a "typical" librarian. People are "pleasantly surprised" to find out how
sexy clinical information services really is.

When people have positive experiences with us, they tell people. Good word
spreads. We get referrals.

But of course we have lots of work to do with few resources and slashed
budgets. We have to do a better job of marketing ourselves and aligning
with physicians and the other initiatives going on in our hospitals /
health systems. I am one of 2 librarians at our health system and most
certainly fear the future as one of us is looking toward retirement and
another is launching her career. The best thing I can think of is to say
that we have to establish relationships, document & communicate our
value, promote ourselves & services shamelessly, and try to ignore the
"less-updated" representations or assumptions about who we are and what we
do.  Partner with docs, residents, nurses, pharmacists, clinicians --etc.
Send library service updates/contributions to any medical staff or nursing
newsletters at your institution. Go to meetings --find where there are info
needs and teach people how to use the available resources. Find and make
friends outside of the library -- we have to, sometimes there is just one
of us! Those friends and colleagues become our ambassadors.

--
 "The only journey is the one within" -Rainer Maria Rilke

"The soul is here for its own joy" --Rumi