I tend to disagree with the good doctor.  Practices all over are switching to Patient Centered Medical Homes which is more of a holistic approach to patient care. We as librarians need to find out where our skills and experience will help in that transition to PCMH. Reinventing ourselves is a never ending job.
Karen Crosser

-----Original Message-----
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jean Slepian
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2012 9:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: we're outdated

I share Dr. Shaywitz's concern with the disappearance of the human connection and compassion as  health care information technology becomes more and more sophisticated, but his reference to librarians as an archaic and outdated profession ( like carriage drivers) is inexcusable !! That's why so many of us are disappearing... because  people like Dr. Shaywitz make careless remarks without really understanding what we do.  I haven't ordered my Shaywitz voodoo doll yet, but I still think someone from NLM or MLA should respond !! -- Jean

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
                                                                                   -- Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

> From: [log in to unmask]
> To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
> Subject: RE: we're outdated
> Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 14:00:35 +0000
>
> Before we get all up in the good doctor's grill, perhaps we should read what he wrote -- in context -- at http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/10/humanism-in-digital-health-do-we-have-to-sacrifice-personal-connections-as-we-improve-efficiency/264325/
>
> He is sympathetic and concerned about many technologist's inability to see past the technology. Here's another quote from earlier in the piece, also out of context:
> "At the same time, it's hard not to resonate with humorist Joe Queenen, when he movingly writes, 'People who need to possess the physical copy of a book, not merely an electronic version, believe that the objects themselves are sacred.'"
>
> Perhaps now we can cancel our order for the Dr. David Shaywitz voodoo doll (apologies in advance to any voodoo practitioners on the list).
>
> Maury Bouchard
> Carriage Driver
> Bassett Medical Center
> Cooperstown, NY

confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply