From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bouchard, Maurice
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2012 10:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: we're outdated

Before we get all up in the good doctor's grill, perhaps we should read what he wrote -- in context -- at http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/10/humanism-in-digital-health-do-we-have-to-sacrifice-personal-connections-as-we-improve-efficiency/264325/

He is sympathetic and concerned about many technologist's inability to see past the technology.  Here's another quote from earlier in the piece, also out of context:
"At the same time, it's hard not to resonate with humorist Joe Queenen, when he movingly writes, 'People who need to possess the physical copy of a book, not merely an electronic version, believe that the objects themselves are sacred.'"

Perhaps now we can cancel our order for the Dr. David Shaywitz voodoo doll (apologies in advance to any voodoo practitioners on the list).

Maury Bouchard
Carriage Driver
Bassett Medical Center
Cooperstown, NY