another article on the subject:
http://leplog.wordpress.com/2012/12/03/in-defense-of-collecting/

--- On Tue, 12/4/12, Grkovich, Alex <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Grkovich, Alex <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [NEodes] In Defense of Collecting Insects
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 10:07 AM

There is no question that avocational collections of Lepidoptera and other insects and invertebrates is necessary…without this we would have little if any
 real knowledge of the subject matter…

Here’s another example of this need:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/12/121203150016.htm
Involves the recent discovery of a new Skipper species (which also belongs to a newly documented GENUS as well) from Jamaica…where it had been thought that
 the Lep Fauna was well known and documented…

As Hank Brodkin (of SEABA) recently told us, “Lepsters, keep swinging those nets”…This was after watchers (and qualified ones) had misidentified a recently
 discovered high altitude colony of Rita Blues in the mountains north of Tucson…

Alex