Mike you are probably correct most racers and instructors  are proficient at those skills.  But we see one or two every year that want to be on the patrol and we need to either tell them to go take some lessons and learn the basics of skiing, or we take them on with the understanding that they are going to need to spend a lot of time honing their skills with us.