Suzan,  It seems that every place has different requirements depending
on the safety officers preference.  I our case we are required to keep
the (necessarily small) bottle of SO2 in a hood then run a 1/16" line
inside a 1/4" line to the Isoprime ref gas box.  The waste comes out of
the ref gas box in another 1/16" line and goes back to the hood.  By
keeping the output pressure of the SO2 tank about about 1 atm the SO2
should not condense at room temperature.  On the ref gas box we never go
above 0.5 atm and have had no problems even though it is not heated. So
the solution to using a non-heated system seem to be to keep the
pressure well below condensation point for SO2.   We are required to
have an SO2 monitor, but as long as that doesn't go off or we cannot
smell SO2 no other safety precautions are necessary.

We do leave the tank on at the 1 atm pressure continually, just turning
up the pressure on the ref gas box from approximately 0.1 atm to 0.5 atm
about a half hour prior to using the system.  This seems to work well.

Hope this helps, Paul.

--
Mr. Paul D. Brooks, Spectroscopist,
http://ib.berkeley.edu/groups/biogeochemistry/