Hi there,

I once used the same method as Stewart on one of our Pfeiffer pumps. It worked for 3 years like that until the shaft finally broke. Since then i let a Pfeiffer technician overhaul the pumps every 4 years.

Regards

Jakov

From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bishop Stewart Eric
Sent: Mittwoch, 9. Januar 2013 14:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] Duo 2.5 and DUO 5 Replacement

Hi,

I experienced similar issues with the DUO 5 in our MAT 253 last year. Upon shut down or power failure( yes, it does occur in Switzerland) the motor energizes but the shaft jolts and holds and does not rotate. The solution was to remove the pump, plug it into an external power source, remove the motor fan cover, power on and manually turn the fan with a quick finger action. Run it warm and reinstall. It seems once it’s going it keeps going until it has no power again. This has worked successfully a few times now, we know the shaft or bearings are well on its way………but we managing to get full use of the pump.

Regards, Stewart