Hi Stewart and other Duo pump users,

Stewart, I am 99% sure you have a bad start capacitor.

The Duo 5 on our Delta Plus also failed to start after power outages.  We also spun it by hand to get it going.  We also would disconnect it from the mass spec to allow it to just pump room air to ease the starting.  Once it was warm it would run perfectly.

The solution is to replace the start capacitor.  (My assumption, based on the fact that it would run by manually spinning it, was that the capacitor was a start rather than a run capacitor).

Of course, Pfeiffer would not sell a capacitor nor had any info on the specs so we had to figure out the specs.  And, of course, Pfeiffer painted the capacitor and specs when they painted the pump.  By scraping the paint off the capacitor I was able to partly determine the specs.

I purchased a replacement start capacitor at a local air conditioning supply shop for less than US$10.00.  The one that I purchased was a 15 microF, 370V.

Original had two black wires.  New had a blue and a black wire.  I was assured that the wire color was not important for this application.  One safety note - the new capacitor has exposed metal tabs to connect with spade connectors.  I installed the new capacitor in a small PVC tube to keep people from being able to touch the connectors.  Then I simply cable tied the PVC tube to the motor.

The pump now starts and runs perfectly.

Hope that this helps someone.

Jason