Hi all, a female pileated woodpecker is now a regular at our suet feeder -
a sapsucker also joined the many downys and hairys - and the starlings,
chickadees, bluejays, crows, and many others. BTW Lantmans in Hinesburg has
great blocks of suet. My bird/squirrel feeder with assorted seeds is very
popular but the big hit is homemade muffins (recipe below). Also wanted to
mention I am ready to assist any distressed waterfowl due to the cold
weather coming up. In past years, cold mallards at the Coast Guard Station
in Burlington could just be picked up and tucked inside a coat (this
happened when temperatures were 10 below or lower). A couple of weeks of
R&R and they were good to go back where they were found. Best way to reach
me is via cell phone (802-777-0673).

Helena Nicolay
Monkton Vermont

Bird muffin recipe: 375 oven for 20 min. Mix 1.5 cups of flours (mostly
wheat, buckwheat, rye, etc), bit of baking powder, trace of salt, 2 eggs,
applejuice to bind the whole thing together AND a combination of: rolled
oats, sunflower hearts, ground walnuts, ripe banana, grated carrots, peanut
butter, millet, blueberries, molasses, cockatiel pellets/seeds, crushed
cereals, cooked rice, wheatgerm, canned corn. No artificial sweeteners, no
dairy, no hi-iron cereals, no oil, no chocolate. But other than that - have
fun experimenting with different ingredients. NOTE: your significant other
will be tempted to raid the muffins before the Bluejays get it.