Whether the Pochard is wild or fugitive, frankly, for me is
irrelevant:  this weekend's hunt was thrilling indeed.  Many thanks
to the kind gentleman from Bow, NH that generously shared his scope
for a glimpse at a lovely Redhead and Ring-necked duck, and also Ian
Worley (sorry, I was too shy to introduce myself) for my first look
at a Canvasback, all from the DAR Park.  I was verging on full-blown
embarrassment being there with nothing more than my battered, back-up
pair of bins (barely one step better than no bins at all), standing
there among so many devoted, knowledgeable, seasoned birders, but not
once did I feel unwelcome.  Everyone's kindness and willingness to
share has been a true inspiration, and I'll be sure to pass along the
same to others.

Finally, yes I did see the Pochard, having been a part of the
stampede to Port Henry Park.  Again, folks there were nearly tugging
those of us without scopes to gaze through theirs, making sure
everyone had a good solid look.  Jiminy, I could even see it's red
eyes!  The excitement and enthusiasm of so many people for such a
lovely duck is something I'll remember with happiness for years to
come.  What a great way to begin a new year.

Kaye
Hinesburg