Saturday morning I was with my brother (yes, that brother) scanning
gulls hunkered close to shore on choppy ice at Shelburne Bay.  Their
heads were tucked, but we noticed one looked a bit smaller and had
different tail markings from the Herring Gulls, being nearly black
with just a hint of white and clearly not the white dots of a
Herring.  Waiting, waiting, waiting... suddenly  a few lifted up and
swirled around before landing again.  We both clearly saw the smaller
one had unusually long, more angular wings with distinct solid black
tips above and below, otherwise fully white underneath from head to
tail, had a yellow beak and a paler gray back than the Herring Gulls
and darn!  No look at the legs before it landed and quickly tucked
again.  We waited, but it never moved before we finally left.  The
only thing that we could find in both Sibley and Peterson Guides was
a Black-legged Kittiwake.  I returned yesterday to scan the gulls,
but only saw Herrings.  Has anyone else seen something like this?

Kaye
Hinesburg