Escapism is a great word.  I think it's why some of us go birding.
Of course, I know nothing of that.

Saw two Peregrine Falcons in Hinesburg today, all without causing an
accident on 116.  I had to turn around several times in thick morning
traffic to finally find a spot and pull off for a better look through
bins, all while praying "don't be gone don't be gone".   Success!
Perched on the tippy top of a dead tree, he gave a good look right in
my eye, stretched his wings and flew over me heading due east.  Then,
after beginning my way to work again, another Peregrine was chasing a
savvy pigeon that dove smack into a brushy tree canopy, elluding
capture.  My first Peregrines of the year: an exciting start to the day!

Kaye
Hinesburg