Not that we should devote too much space about possums, but I thought
you'd like to know that apparently they can fly.  My parents have in
their Conn. backyard a large pole mounted feeder with a bag of suet
hanging down from one side, attached  with wire.  Several years ago,
they were inside the house after dark and heard a strange rythmic
creaking noise, ree ree, ree ree, over and over.  Dad grabbed a
flashlight to look out the window, and there, hanging from the wired
suet was a possum looking right back at him with a toothy little
possum grin, gaily swinging on the wire.  He was even pushing with
his little legs at the far point of the arc like a kid on a playset
wanting to go higher!  For some time they watched him watching them
until Snap!  Off he sailed with the suet into the night.

Kaye
Hinesburg