Hello all,

I was not at Lake Champlain yesterday, but some folks have reported
birds to me.

I have also had a request for birders to respect private roads and
homesites.

At the Champlain Bridge there is a large parking lot opposite the Bridge
Restaurant.  [There is little parking at the Museum.]  DAR State Park
has plenty of parking if visiting that site.  Yesterday, from what I've
heard, the bridge was definitely the better of the two locations.  With
the southerly wind that is forecasted, and any light snowfall today
should not be enhanced by lake effect.

In addition to the Common Pochard a male Redhead and a female Canvasback
were seen, so care must be taken in identifying birds of this group.

Other ducks and gulls of interest that were seen included the
following.  The numbers in parentheses are some of the numbers reported.

Gadwall  (2)
Black Duck  (310)
Mallard (720)
Black Duck x Mallard (3)
Mallard x Northern Pintail (3 males)
Green-winged Teal (1)
Common Pochard (1)
Ring-necked Duck (55)
Scaup (good estimate count: 1500 Lessers, 500 Greaters of which most
were females)
White-winged Scoters (2 females)
Common Goldeneye (2200)
Common Goldeneye x Barrow's Goldeneye (1)
Barrow's Goldeneye  (2 males, 1 female)
Common Merganser (1500)
Bald Eagle (15)
Iceland (Kumlien's) Gull (1 Juvenile)
Northern Pintail (1 male)
Bufflehead (2)
Herring Gull (12)
Great Black-backed Gull (5)
Ring-billed Gull (25)
Tufted-duck (I've seen no report of it yesterday, thus far)

Also, three Hoary Redpolls were seen by one party.

Ian