An evening last month, just after we had put up our Christmas tree in a
room with an exterior door with glass panes to the bottom, a small waif
of an opossum stood on the rock stoop, front feet on a pane to be just
tall enough to peer ... shyly, it seemed ... into the room at the warmly
lit tree and those within.  It remained as if transfixed for some time
in the glow from the tree's lights, as if from a certain Dickens tale.

We always have at least one winter opossum here in Cornwall that lives
in the barn, often in the woodpile.  This chap is burrowed into some hay
stored in with the chickens and geese, coming out some evenings for
eating goose grain or foraging beneath the feeders. And yes, they do
enjoy fruits and veggies.

Sometimes our dogs bark at them, but mostly they just treat them like
any other of the barn folk.  If you find an opossum motionless, ragged
and ill-looking .... most likely it is quite healthy and just being an
opossum.  Turn your back for a while and it will have wandered away.  If
you would like to hasten it along, I suggest carrying them with a snow
shovel ... they typically take the ride quite quietly.

Ian

On 1/8/2013 7:14 PM, Jane Stein wrote: a