From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kaye Danforth
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [VTBIRD] Flying Possum

Not that we should devote too much space about possums, but I thought you'd
like to know that apparently they can fly.  My parents have in their Conn.
backyard a large pole mounted feeder with a bag of suet hanging down from
one side, attached  with wire.  Several years ago, they were inside the
house after dark and heard a strange rythmic creaking noise, ree ree, ree
ree, over and over.  Dad grabbed a flashlight to look out the window, and
there, hanging from the wired suet was a possum looking right back at him
with a toothy little possum grin, gaily swinging on the wire.  He was even
pushing with his little legs at the far point of the arc like a kid on a
playset wanting to go higher!  For some time they watched him watching them
until Snap!  Off he sailed with the suet into the night.

Kaye
Hinesburg