Hi All,

After some delay, here are the highlights of the Hanover-Norwich CBC
held on 1 January. In a nutshell: thirty-one birders in 11 parties, plus
one feeder-watcher, counted a record total of 12,676 birds of 54 species
(record 58 in 1999-2000) on count day and added four others during count
week.

Best birds were an Eastern Towhee lurking at a feeder at Kendal in
Hanover (first count record); a drake Wood Duck in the mouth of the
Mascoma River, a molting drake Green-winged Teal in Lebanon, a dark
morph Rough-legged Hawk in northern Norwich, and a Merlin in West
Lebanon (all third count records); a Chipping Sparrow in White River
Junction (sixth count record); and a Hermit Thrush in Hanover (seventh
count record) . There were four record counts this year: 840 Mallards
(breaking record set just last year), 9 Bald Eagles (3 adults, 6
immatures; another year, another record), 6000 American Crows (estimate
for the Lebanon roost), and 9 Carolina Wrens (continuing a trend after
last year's mild winter - we'll see what happens next winter). Our
ten-short-of-record count of 260 Am. Tree Sparrows may be related to the
influx of finches from this year's food-poor zone in boreal Canada.

All-in-all it was a great count!

Walter Ellison & Nancy Martin
Chestertown, MD

& Dan Crook
Lebanon, NH

Observing Nature is like unwrapping a big pile of presents every time
you take a walk.